Meet Sujit, age 43. He met with an accident 1 year back. He had severely fractured bones and required orthopedic surgeries to fix them. He approached our orthopedic hospital in Anand and got operated on successfully.
After the surgery was referred to our physiotherapist and exactly after 1 year of starting the physiotherapy treatment, his life is back to normal.
In our orthopedic hospital, we have a team of orthopedic surgeons and physiotherapists who help the patients to recover faster.
People have different beliefs when we refer them to physiotherapists. This blog will give you a clear idea as to why physiotherapy is needed after surgery and in case of certain problems.
Why Do Orthopedic Hospitals Also Have Separate Departments For Physiotherapy?
In the case of orthopedic injuries, sometimes surgery is necessitated. Our muscles and tissues are damaged during the surgery. Although medicines can help in healing, they don’t help in mobility.
Hence to make our bodies mobile and to strengthen the muscles and the tissues, physiotherapy treatments are specified. Hence, orthopedics and physiotherapists go hand-in-hand. As one of the best physiotherapists in Anand, we provide the following treatments at our orthopedic hospital.
Types of Treatment Methods Used in Physiotherapy
- Manual therapy – It consists of techniques wherein a physiotherapist uses his hands to massage the affected joints.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy – TENS therapy uses currents to relieve pain. This treatment is painless. Small electrodes are attached to the skin surface and current is passed to the affected area through the battery-driven devices.
- Magnetic therapy – In the case of magnetic therapy, electromagnets of different sizes are kept on the body to relieve pain.
- Taping – As one of the best physiotherapists in Anand, we employ taping techniques to lift the skin away from the connective tissue. This allows the lymphatic fluid to flow freely in the body organs. This helps to relieve pain.
- Joint mobilization – In the case of this technique, we use manual therapy to mobilize joints.
- Stretches and exercises – As physiotherapists, we ask patients to do various stretching exercises to relieve pain.
- Hydrotherapy – Hydrotherapy uses water to cure diseases. Special exercises are performed in water to relax the muscles.
- Hot and cold applications – Hot and cold applications that you normally do and what we as physiotherapists do, differ in some respects. We use ice, cold packs, nitrogen sprays, and cryotherapy to relieve your pain.
- Diathermy – This technique employs heat or high-frequency electromagnetic waves to treat patients. It is a painless procedure.
This brings us to a discussion;
What Are The Conditions Treated By Orthopedic Physiotherapists?
- Spondylitis: Each one of us has experienced neck pain at some point in time. However, when it becomes a regular phenomenon, it is necessary to consult an orthopedic doctor. In case of inflammation of the vertebral joints, physiotherapy can help decrease the pain by using various techniques such as stretching, massage, and hot and cold therapies.
- Arthritis: Arthritis is caused due to injury, normal wear, and tear, or hereditary. The swelling or tenderness that occurs in the joints can be treated by physiotherapists. Through physiotherapy, the pain and damage to the joint are minimized.
- Back Pain: Back pain can occur due to various reasons. Incorrect sitting position, lifting something heavy, or bending abruptly can cause back pain. Stress is also one of the factors for back pain. However, as the best physiotherapists in Anand, we understand how badly it affects your daily life. With proper physiotherapy exercises, back pain can be healed.
- Knee pain: Have you ever experienced knee pain? There can be many causes of knee pain. In case of unrepairable damage, knee replacement is the only solution. But before that stage, if you visit any orthopedic hospital and approach a physiotherapist then the problem can be solved.
- Slipped Disc: Slipped Discs can result in numbness or weakness in the arms or legs. When the rubbery discs between the bones try to push themselves out in the exterior, it causes pain. Physiotherapists can help you to exercise the muscles and thereby try to reduce the pain.
- Muscle Sprain: Muscle sprains are very common. They take place due to improper walking or walking on an uneven surface. Physiotherapy can help to recover from pain. Physiotherapy is MUST after surgery. It helps to heal faster.
Why Is Physiotherapy After Surgery Important?
As the best physiotherapists in Anand, it is our effort to restore your mobility at the earliest. Physiotherapy is especially required after orthopedic surgery as:
- It helps to restore mobility
- Reduces pain and swelling
- Encourages the patient to act independently
- Prevents blood clots
- Strengthens the muscles and tissues
Orthopedic Surgeries That Require Physiotherapy Include:
- Total joint replacement surgeries of the hip or knee
- Ankle, elbow, or knee reconstructions
- Spinal surgeries
- Rotator cuff repairs
- Total shoulder replacements
When Should You Approach A Physiotherapist?
Some people feel that the reference of a doctor is needed for visiting a physiotherapist, however, if you are experiencing pain you can visit the physiotherapist on your own.
You just need to carry your medical file with you so that the physiotherapist knows about the medicines you take.